I may have started my running journey around 7 years ago however, I was most certainly not a natural runner. Like most people, I started with run/walking and gradually increased the time I spent running until I could eventually run for 30 minutes.
These days, whenever I meet someone who’s starting their running journey I always recommend ‘Couch to 5km‘. Couch to 5km is a free application and series of podcasts which allow you to ease from walker to runner and by the end of the free 9-week plan, you’ll be able to run for 30 minutes or 5km.
Here are my tips for new runners:
1.To avoid Injury – Buy the right trainers for YOU, not what’s pretty.
2. Don’t fear walking – Or beat yourself up. We all have to stop and walk once in a while and run/walking is part of the process.
3. Invest in a good sports bra – Nearly 40% of women don’t wear a sports bra when working out. Your sports bra should be updated every time you buy new trainers (around every 500 miles).
4. Quality over quantity – You don’t have to run for hours unless that’s your aim of course! But, it’s better to put your heart into 3 quality training run’s a week rather than 6 half-hearted runs.
5.Accept that people will stare – This is YOUR journey, people will stare but let them. Chances are they’ll have forgotten you in moments.
6. Food is fuel – Surely you wouldn’t fuel your car on junk filled petrol? think of your body the same way.
Ditch: diet drinks/food and anything ‘low fat‘.
Focus on: whole grains/good fats/protein.
Having the right diet can seriously aid your training and energy levels.
7. Don’t ditch the weights – Weight training will make you a stronger and faster runner long term. Also, cross training is very important to build a balanced body and train other muscles.
8. Don’t give up – All good things take time, some of us are natural runners and for others, it’s a hard slog. It’s *always* worth it and if it’s important? You’ll make the time.
Gone are the days when going for a run mean’s throwing on an old t-shirt and some unflattering jogging bottoms.
Boohoo have created ‘Boohoo Fit‘ which is a collection of vibrant,stylish and cost effective sportswear. Which is ideal for those new to running or completely acceptable to wear for coffee with friends.
This was the first time I’d ever worn Boohoo and I found that the fit was true to size and that the leggings were of comfortable/squat proof material. Larger busted ladies may need additional support, rather than relying on the crop top alone. The white vest layers over perfectly to hide the tummy area and exposes the elegant back detail.
You can view the whole collection here
Have you ever tried ‘Couch to 5km’? Do you buy new fitness wear often?
Disclaimer: I was kindly sent the clothing from Boohoo but all opinions are my own.