If you’ve been following my blog for a while, you’ll know that food prep is a big part of my weekly routine and a huge asset when it feels like life is going at 100mph and you just can’t keep track or you just want 15 minutes more in bed.
Last week I decided to take a picture of some of the basics I picked up to create my meals for the following 3 days:
Alongside what we already had in our cupboard, I set out to create 3/4 days worth of sides and main meals to save not only time but money and help me keep on track. I set a timer for an hour in the kitchen and set out to create some wholesome meals using basic ingredients and staying within my time frame.
Roasted Aubergine & Cauliflower
- One whole cauliflower
- One whole aubergine
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- Garlic Salt
- Black Pepper
- Cajun Spice
- Pre-heat your oven to 180degrees.
- Roughly slice the aubergine and cauliflower, pop into a large baking tray.
- Mix together 1 Tablespoon Honey, 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil, Paprika (to taste), Garlic Salt (just a sprinkle), Black Pepper (3 Grinds) & a sprinkle of Cajun Spice. Pour over the vegetables and oven bake for 30 minutes.
Broccoli & Bean Salad
- One whole broccoli
- 100g Pineapple
- 200g Butter Beans
- 50g Soya Beans
- 25g Cashews
- (Optional – Tahini and balsamic as a dressing)
- Roughly chop a whole broccoli and boil for around 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool and add butter beans, soya beans, pineapple and cashew’s.
Lazy Mixed Vegetable Rice
- One packed of mircowave rice
- 100g Sweetcorn
- 100g Peas
- 200g Butter-beans
- Microwave rice – Throw in pea’s, sweetcorn, butter-beans and volia!
I chopped some vegetables to eat with my beetroot and mint dip, plus a huge side salad as our garden is flourishing with lettuce right now. When it comes to salad, I have a tendency just to open the fridge, chuck in whatever I fancy and add a source of protein before serving.
- 100g Oats
- 30g Peanut Butter
- 25g Agave
- 15g Butter (Melted or room temperature)
- 250g Quark
- 15g Agave Nectar
- Half a teaspoon vanilla essence
- 20g Cocoa Powder
- 40g Pomegranate
- 20 Chocolate Chips
- 30g Coconut Chips
- Start by setting aside 4 dessert ramekins, then mix the oats, agave, butter, peanut butter and cinnamon until a dough forms. Press the mix into the ramekins and set to one side.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the quark, vanilla and agave and spoon half into two ramekins, with the other half add cocoa powder, whisk again and spoon into the remaining two ramekins.
- Finally, add your toppings and refrigerate until you want to eat them.
I’d become very accustomed to having a sweet snack in the afternoon, however, I’m finding that this isn’t aiding my energy levels at all. However, it’s hard to get hugely excited about a 3pm snack of vegetables and dip, I’ve got to keep on fighting my inner sugar monster.
Due to the lovely weather, we tend to BBQ our meat in the evenings and what we eat varies from day to day. I’d be lying if I didn’t mention that I’m currently having a love affair with halloumi and it works so well with these sides.
Whats on your plate this week?