Sometimes I wonder if I’ll ever grow out of my slightly childish habits, like laughing at memes, openly enjoying Disney and craving sugar-laden bars, created for kids. On reflection, I then realize that there’s no reason why I should grow out of these habits, what is life without simple pleasures? After all, I’m not harming anyone and chocolate is good for the soul.
I can’t lie, these bars have taken a little time and ‘development’, my first batch was made with sugar-free marshmallows and they tasted well, quite frankly disgusting. Nothing like a mouthful of mushy rice crispies with that faux sugar aftertaste, don’t do it. The second time, I badly burnt the saucepan and it was a slightly smoky, stressful affair with not enough chocolate and let me tell you this, not enough chocolate is a bad situation.
You need to move quickly whilst making these because the marshmallow and chocolate burn’s FAST – I recommend moving all small children, pets and tripping objects out of the way first.
I was trying to deal with a sticky marshmallow and heat situation, with the background noise of G asking me to come into the living room and admire how sweetly him and Lily where huddled. Which led to me shouting “In a minute” whilst desperately trying to avoid setting off the smoke alarm and mix everything together in record time. By the way, it was worth the rush, they did look extremely sweet or maybe I was slightly high on adrenalin, marshmallows, and chocolate. Who knows?
My top tip – Set everything out in advance, you need chocolate, not stress my friend.
- 30g Milk Chocolate
- 20g White Chocolate
- 20g Chocolate Chips
- 20g Cocoa Powder
- 25g Honey
- 170g Rice Crispy's
- 150g Marshmallows
- Start by lining a loaf tin with grease proof paper and setting to one side.
- Weigh out the rice crispy's and set to one set, alone with the chocolate chips.
- Then microwave (on the defrost setting) the 30g chocolate and then transfer to a sauce pan and mix in the cocoa powder and honey, then on a low heat, mix in the marshmallows. Do not leave this unattended, after a few minutes they will start to melt and will require constant attention and stirring.
- Once a sticky liquid has formed, remove from the heat and pour in rice crispy's bit by bit and stir until completely covered.
- Then transfer into the loaf tin, press down the mix until firm, pop to one side and melt the while chocolate in the microwave (again using defrost). Now drizzle the white chocolate over the top and scatter the chocolate chips.
- Place in the fridge for around 30-60 minutes and once set, slice using a sharp knife and enjoy right away.
Another selling point of these bars is that they are great for Jenga, okay, maybe that’s a little too childish. But regardless, it made me smile and that’s the whole point of these sticky sweet treats.
What’s your favorite “To Go” bar right now?