Instagram

7   85
11   133
4   61
7   96
13   107

I am not the 8 stone girl.

1601597_10153002116854710_2652611277579646261_n

I need a rant, a moment to get some pent up emotion off my chest..

Weight, it’s a tricky subject because despite what the NHS and magazines say there is no set ideal weight for all. Obviously, there are the set ideal weight ranges, there are our own personal desires (you know those ‘my life will be perfect when I weigh XYZ’ moments?’) and there’s our ‘happy’ weight when it just works.

A few months ago I read a few new blog’s (and old blogs) and noticed that a stream of the writers were all in the 8 stone zone and I would be outright lying if I didn’t (once) question why my body was not also in that range. The reality is, I’m not built that way (it’s cool) and very little is going to change that apart from a low-calorie diet (which would depress me) and working out even more (I do have a life).

When it comes to weight, comparison can be the thief of joy so I carried on being content with being me.

In my little world I run as much as I can, I climb when the mood takes me, I lift, I walk most days and I love circuit training.Oh, and you may have noticed that I love to eat, I’m a 2,2-500 calorie a day girl and it makes me smile.

On Monday I stepped on the scales, I was surprised to see that since my last weigh in (February) my weight had gone down and so had my fat percentage.

IMG_20150324_115302

*Note – I’m not convinced the BF reading is correct!!!

I wouldn’t normally share my weight but for this post, it feel’s right, I will also share that I allowed myself a ‘scale victory’ and continued in the zone that I wouldn’t check in again for another month or so.

Then the following day I was ‘hit like a truck’ when my male colleague made a comment

‘Thankfully, those trousers cut a few pounds off you’

Maybe it was a joke? Okay fine.

Maybe I’m over sensitive.

Maybe people should NOT make comments about other people’s weights?

Maybe I should try not to cry at work

What I didn’t mention at the start of my post is that I read comments on blogs/instagrams implying these beautiful bloggers that I mentioned are fat, or could make improvements and when I hear comments such as the above, I can’t help but wonder what on earth people think of me.

I see young girl’s bragging about huge calorie restriction, I read magazines promoting 1,200 calorie diets or the perfect body…

And it all gets to me sometimes.

IMG_20150324_181416

*I saw this on Twitter and LOVED it*

We are all just right how we are, it does NOT matter if we are not ‘the 8 stone girl‘ but the 7 stone lady or the 15 stone woman, the most attractive people are glowing with happiness.

I know it’s a big ask but I’d love to see a stop to thin shaming or fat shaming and making assumptions about people based on weight. I’d love to see/read/hear more people feeling happy in their own skin, loving the beautiful body they have and enjoying all the great things our bodies allow us to do.

It all comes down to You.

Only you can control how you feel, what affects you and what drives you, I’m not writing to dictate how you should feel but there’s no harm in saying I love me, I love all of me‘.

I do love me, I’m pretty content with my size/shape:

*I don’t have a 6 pack but my tummy is flat

*I don’t have thigh gap but my legs are strong and can run distances that surprise me

*I like my eye’s even though, I’m short sighted.

*I may have tiny melons but they suit my build and that’s cool with me.

Write down things you love about you, hopefully, you will feel liberated and happy, then refer to that list whenever you find yourself in a situation when you feel self-doubt or comparison..

Hugs

Katie

P.s – This seem’s like a pretty good time to say, my post’s may not be as frequent over the next few month’s as I have a lot on. I will be updating my ‘Instagram’ and my ‘Twitter’ daily and I’d love to follow you on there so if you are a reader, please give me a nudge.

x

Share:

18 Comments

1. March 26, 2015 / 12:55 pm

Thank you for doing this post!

I’ve really been struggling lately and totally obsessing over what the scales say. I’ve just finished an Atkins style diet and got down to 10st 2 (having started at almost 11st) and my BF is 25.2%.

I’m around the same height as you but I’m a DD so there’s no doubt that some of the above is down to my melons as you called it.

Even though I look great, my tummy is flatter than it’s been in a long time and I’m evening fitting into size 8 dresses (still a 10 in most other bits) I’m still totally obsessing about what’s on the scales. I feel like unless I hit under 10st I won’t be happy and I’m not right until I hit that mark. The scales haven’t budged a bit in the last 2 weeks so maybe I should just accept that body isn’t meant to weigh that much and be happy!

It’s tough though when, like you say, we’re bombarded with images and figures which make us feel as though, if we don’t fit that image, we’re not right!

Things I do love about myself though:

My melons
    Everyone always says my eyes are really expressive
    My diddy waist!

Laura x

• March 26, 2015 / 2:18 pm

Laura – your figure sounds incredible! Honestly, I’m not just saying that…it sounds like you have the ideal balance/shape and my sister has water melons (I’m getting creative here) and when she was 10’2 she was tiny, so I do think it makes a difference.
      Your list of things you love about yourself have made me smile, they are wonderful qualities and hooray for celebrating them, that’s what this post is about 🙂
      I used to be nearly 14 stone back in the day, then I sat in the 10’s for ages but I won’t lie..I’m only in the 9’s because of my activity level back in February I was 9’13 but still very happy/comfy with myself. Yet on the other hand I understand the theory of wanting to be at a certain number, I think it’s a normal feeling but don’t torture yourself because there’s thousands of women who would adore your amazing stats!
      x

2. March 26, 2015 / 9:28 pm

Great post, spot on as always 🙂 Glad to hear you are content with your body, it makes me so sad to hear women criticizing and hating their bodies. I’m also hurt when people make flippant comments like your colleague did, I hate any kind of comment on people’s weight/size/shape. I love most parts of my body these days (except my stomach but I’ve learned to accept it as it is) 🙂

• March 27, 2015 / 2:10 pm

Hey Lucy, I know you have a really sensible point of view with weight etc and that’s one of the reasons I love your blog so much 🙂 People don’t realise how much flippant comments really hurt, we all come in different shapes and sizes and one persons ‘ideal’ may not match another persons..
      I’m so pleased you’ve learnt to love your body and I’m sure your stomach is perfect, there’s so much pressure to have ab’s but why don’t we all be contents with our lovely bellies?! 🙂 x

3. March 27, 2015 / 10:01 am

Okay firstly, F— your colleague. Seriously that is 100% not okay. You are clearly in shape, fit and beautiful, but more importantly when did he receive his ‘Complete Right to Comment on the Body of Others’ card? Oh that’s right, he doesn’t have that card. None of us do. Someone else’s body is none of your damn business. Unless asked for a direct opinion, keep them to yourself.

I love my strong legs; especially my calves at the moment. I love my eyes- bright green blueish. I love my hair- lion like; there’s lots of it. I love my boobs- they are wee but well formed. And as they tone from climbing I’m starting to love my arms too, which I used to HATE.

I do want to change my body shape a bit, I wont deny that, but to do so I am not focusing on insulting it. I am focusing on praising it with better food (I already work out a ton so food is the issue :)!).

PS: I’m a girl who blogs health and fitness and I weigh 11 stone something at a size UK 12. Also the mega blogger Carly Rowena happily admits she weighs 10-something and shes a sculpted goddess.

PPS: I wrote a post about my relationship with my body a while back, its here if you’re interested (http://cadsandscallywags.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/how-i-feel-about-my-body.html)

• March 27, 2015 / 4:13 pm

I was so pleased when I read your comment, it felt like a real compliment as I so enjoyed reading your post (I left a rather ‘fan girlish’ comment under my other Google account when I read it in Feb).
      I honestly think that when people make comments about weight sometimes they just don’t think or care that it actually really hurts? I have been nearly 14 stone and I have been my present weight (pretty much my lowest) but if this is not ‘right’ in someone else’s mind they should keep quiet.
      Because of my weight struggles I was elated when Carly spoke up about her weight, finally someone with a fit, extremely lean, strong, beautiful body spoke up and said ‘Hey, it’s okay not to be super light’..
      Looking at your pictures, you honestly look a few stone less than you are (rather like lovely Carly), but wait..does that matter? You’re a great weight, your young, slim, fit, gorgeous and happy so who cares?
      Keep climbing because it does wonders for your arms (well, not just because of that…!), back in the day I would train 3x a week and I got killer arms…now I’m completely controlled by my head/fear but my arms are still pretty good – hurrah! xx

4. March 27, 2015 / 8:29 pm

love this post! I’ve learnt not to pay attention to my weight… I was 11st and a size 16, going on 18 at my biggest, I am now happily sitting around 10 & a half at a size 10! Hardly any difference in overall weight but Ive lost a bucket load of fat & replaced it with muscles. It just goes to show that the scales mean nothing!

I’d kill for a flat belly like yours but on a positive note I do love my ass & toned shoulders! 🙂

• March 27, 2015 / 8:33 pm

Ps I’m a 2000+ calorie girl too & love food far too much to ever change that!

• April 1, 2015 / 5:29 am

Hey Christy! I love that you (like me) embrace eating enough – hurrah! You are so right, the scales never tell the whole story and even if I do touch on weight for a second, 10 stone and carrying lot’s of lovely muscle is ace! 🙂 x

5. mia79gbr
    March 30, 2015 / 9:32 am

Seriously!! Your colleague needs a slap in the head! What a comment!

Also, I’m one of those 8 stone something girls …. BUT I’m also 4 inches shorter than you and your BMI AND body fat is lower than mine … 🙂

I love the idea of focusing on our positives. It is such a simple idea but it really works. It’s something I do when I’m worrying about things – write the positives of the day. Things are always better than they seem when we’re worrying.

p.s. Please DO get someone to slap your colleague.

• April 1, 2015 / 5:31 am

Ooooh It’s all relative right? Which Is fab because we all come in different shapes and sizes…you are a lean, (not so mean) running machine..I really envy your super speedy legs 🙂 I agree with writing down the good things, whenever I take a moment to do that I always feel so much more content 🙂 x

6. March 30, 2015 / 12:29 pm

I can’t believe someone would say that! So rude and not nice at all. I agree, too much emphasis is put on the weight thing. When I was a teenager I was on the scales everyday, and all it did was make me even more self conscious and paranoid about what I put in my mouth.
    I try to stay away from them these days and focus on how I look and feel instead.
    Glad you shared this post Katie, and screw what other people think!

• April 1, 2015 / 5:34 am

Thank you Louise! 🙂 I used to weigh in daily when I was working on losing weight and therefore I was on a constant roller-coaster of ‘don’t eat this, do eat that’ and your right it just make us miserable! When we all accept we can’t please everyone life seem’s so much more easy 🙂

• April 1, 2015 / 5:35 am

Thank you – It felt wonderful to get it off my chest and I’ve had a smile a day from it since! 🙂 x

7. June 4, 2015 / 3:32 pm

Don’t even get me started on women eating 1200 or 1300 calories a day. It’s not enough. It just isn’t.

And 8 stone! I don’t do stones so I looked up that it’s 50kg. I have not weighed 50kg since I was probably 12 years old.

And your body fat of 15%. Now I have to say that makes me a little bit jealous 😀 But I have a feeling my hormones would be all over the place if my body fat got so low…

So I’m a happy 10 stone / 21% BF kind of a girl 😀
    (and I happily eat at least 2000 calories every day 🙂

• June 5, 2015 / 8:46 pm

See, you have a incredible shape and I am always seriously envious of your running times etc so clearly your not just in good shape but fit and content! A good mix.. I’ve no idea how my body fat dropped so low, esp when I’m a good eater (AKA I eat more than enough, every day not just on ‘treat days’ ) and I don’t work out excessively, I was really interested in your comments about hormones…I may take some time to look into that.